Typical household cleaners are on the top of the list of dangers in our homes. They cause indoor air pollution, which means many of us will suffer from skin, respiratory and eye irritation. Even if you leave your windows open and turn your bathroom fan on, you are still inhaling and exposing yourself to these chemicals. Anyone who has ever used a heavy-duty cleaner on their oven, or scrubbed their bathroom floor to ceiling with a couple different cleaners know that headachey, sore throat, stuffy nosed feeling. These are some of the instant side effects of using these harsh cleaners. Sometimes even chemical burns can appear on the skin, as well as rashes and other irritations. And of course these cleaners are toxic when consumed, making them dangerous to use on surfaces that may transfer the chemical the our hands and faces. Children and pets are at a higher risk for being poisoned.
Watch out for corrosive ingredients such as chlorine bleach, and ammonia – while they can clean well, they are not worth the risk to your health. Diethanolamine (DEA) and Trithanolamine (TEA) are dangerous sudsing agents that when when mixed with nitrites (which are often present as undisclosed preservatives or contaminants) will react to form nitrosamines – carcinogens that readily penetrate the skin and cause deadly long-term illnesses and cancer.
Fragrances are also surprisingly dangerous to our health. They are usually a complex mixture of chemicals that do not need to be listed in the ingredients according to government standards because they are considered “trade secrets”. They are also irritating to the respiratory system, skin and eyes – especially for those who suffer from asthma and allergies.
Try some alternatives!
There are many great cleaning alternatives that work just as well without being hazardous to our health. Simple Green, Seventh Generation, and Fruits & Passion are just a few of the great eco-friendly and non-toxic alternatives on the market. Or, you could try and make your own at home – save money and feel good knowing that you’re protecting the health of everyone in your home.